Confession Session: I fear rejection

You might be thinking "Charissa EVERYONE does!" But it's different for me. The fear of rejection controls what I do - and don't do. It's like a wall between me and everyone that I love and care about.

Example: I don't like doing visits to potential club locations... It is one of the worst things that I have to do. I walk up to a completely unfamiliar place and go inside to talk to someone I've never met. I understand that when and if they say no it isn't personal - but it feels that way. It feels like I am going to drop dead on the floor right in front of them if they say no.

Example: I don't like making new friends.... I know that is hard to believe but there is just TOO many opportunities to be rejected. I am very weird. VERY weird. I sat here trying to think of how to describe myself to you but I just can't think of anything. The first thing that popped up in my head was "Grandma in a 21 year old body...." then "Quirky kindergarten teacher" just mash those too together and that's what I am like on the inside. You can't let new people see that much crazy all at once - otherwise they will just run away!

I have a hard time believing that new people will like me. I have thoughts like "I'm pretty sure they hate me." or "Why am I so dumb?!" or "I wish I just knew what they want me to be like - that way I can't be rejected". Most people would probably deny having thought any such things upon meeting me but I can't help but think it would be better if I just stayed at home and watched Netflix.

Like an awful spiral I believe the lie that I will be rejected - then I act more weird than I already am - then people don't like me and reject me - further confirming the lie... see how it works? I guess it all comes back to what I believe about myself in the light of what Jesus thinks of me.

He believes that I am beautiful. He says I am valuable. He says that I am worth loving. He calls me his own. No matter how weird, quirky I am he wants to be around me. I am dearly and deeply loved by the King of Kings. And if I passed inspection there I must be okay here too... Sigh now if I could just believe it.

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of weeks and just now knew it was time to verbalize the lies I believe. They have less hold when you bring them out in the open. Because it's at that point you realize how untrue the statements are. I don't want to live in a world where every minute I am afraid of what people will think of me. When I realize how Jesus sees me, everything is okay. When I am accepted by the King of Kings, I don't have to be afraid of anyone else. I'll be okay. I'll be okay.

Comments

  1. And I agree with Jesus; you're pretty amazing! Love you lots, friend! Although I can't believe you chopped me out of that picture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! I didn't chop you out of that picture! I had one that was just me :) silly girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts