Verse of the Week: Peace I give to you

So it's been a while since I have written anything. I'll get into why after the verse.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you;
my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives do I give to you.
Let not your hearts be troubled, 
neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27

I suffer from panic attacks. Yes I know it is just another lovely thing that goes on in my brain. Major panic attacks only come probably once a month, but I have little bouts with them during the whole month - times when I can't get my breathing under control or my heart is beating out of my chest or my thoughts are so clouded that I can't think straight. The last two weeks they have taken over my life. Wormed their way into my sleeping habits, waking me up at 2:30-3:00 in the morning almost every morning. Crawled into my work schedule - rendering me useless for a good portion of the morning as I try to control my rampaging thoughts. Hung over me like a dark cloud at home - making the smallest task look like a giant hill.

But during all of that the Lord has repeated the words of John 14:27 (which I memorized in Good News Club) over me. Peace I leave with you! My peace I give to you!  It has brought me such comfort especially when I feel so afraid and so worried about everything. This is a promise - a beautiful promise from the Lord that I don't have to be afraid or troubled or worried or anxious because he is with me. He is standing by my side and holding my hand. Giving me peace when I am afraid and comforting me in the night when I am awake. He understands that I am fearful and my brain overreacts, but he comes anyway to calm me and bring me peace. In him I find rest and peace and joy and completeness because he is everything. 

So I am going to continually pour these panic attacks out before him and take that peace that he offers me. 

Comments

Popular Posts